Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hong Kong - Day 7: Mid-Levels and The Peak

We started the morning with a tasty Sunday brunch. It was at a very cute hole-in-the-wall restaurant in the western part of town (SoHo).

You know I could eat any breakfast food at any time of the day, so breakfast menus are always impossible for me to choose off of....but, when you see chocolate vanilla-spiced French toast, can you really pass that up? It had bananas and I'm not much of a "mix fruit with things" person, but I had to go with it! I ate the chocolate covered bananas separately (which were very good!) and then ate the French toast. You could have also gotten waffles or pancakes with chocolate and bananas.

Chris got the very boring continental breakfast - museli, yogurt with honey (that he discovered he really likes), a bowl of fruit, three types of homemade bread, and orange juice. He enjoyed it - that was one of the only things on the menu I wouldn't have picked!
The table next to us was very close. We witnessed a very awkward date and then a couple who were having serious financial problems - they came to Hong Kong with an over-charged credit card and were getting denied! They were counting their cash to see how much they could spend on breakfast! So glad my CPA/financial planner husband has us taken care of! (Not that we were listening to what the people next to use were talking about or anything!!!) It was good morning entertainment.

To get to breakfast, we took the subway west and then had to walk south - as you walk south, you start having to walk up-hill. There is a residential neighborhood in this area and they installed these series of escalators to transport people from the residental areas down into the business district. It's pretty cool - they go down the hill from 6am-10am and then back up the hill the rest of the day.
After breakfast, we took a nice stroll back to The Peak tram station. The Peak is a tourist trap on the top of the island. The tram takes you straight up the mountain side - I swear it looked like we were going almost 90 degrees up - Chris later read it was only 48 degrees. However, the view is amazing! I didn't get a picture of the tram - we were crammed on and I was standing in the middle. Here's what it looked like:
Our hotel is right behind the oval-ish building in the middle
Chris being VERY brave and standing at the edge by himself. He told me when we first got up there that I said "It's ok, I'll protect you" and proceeded to drop his hand to walk over to the edge! He found a safe place to wait for me back against the building! :)
It was very windy up there!
South side of the island.
Video of the north part of Hong Kong Island. The rest of the island isn't nearly as populated - it is very dense along the north part.


Tonight Chris asked if he could have his Lindt chocolate again...I felt so bad after last night that I couldn't say no. :) We went to the store and they were having a sale on 9 pieces, so of course he had to get 9! He kindly shared 1 with me - this is what was left by the time we got up to the room. They are gone now! And, of course, he doesn't feel good............
He is now laying on the bed moaning........

No comments:

Post a Comment